Monday, May 3, 2010

Whew!

Sometimes I get so caught up in LIVING that I don't get a chance to REFLECT on life...

Lately I've had a lot of fun. We had out-of-state visitors, which meant trips to Disneyland, Hollywood, the mountains, the desert, the ocean... all the typical Southern California "Things to See."

Then from April 22-24, I participated in the much-awaited "Ragnar Relay Race." 200 miles along the coast, from Ventura to Dana Point. Twelve runners, running three legs of the race each. Two vans, transporting runners from one Exchange Point to another. We left for Ventura at noon Thursday; our team had dinner together there (carb-loading, you know) Thursday evening and stayed overnight. The first teams left Ventura at 6:00 a.m. Friday morning; our team left at 10:30 a.m., arriving at Dana Point about 5 p.m. Saturday afternoon.

Running is often a lonely sport, extremely individualized. But belonging to a little running club like ours makes it more sociable, and a great event like a Ragnar Relay makes it an absolute blast!

I actually didn't run this time, myself. Each team needs to provide three volunteers, and I was my team's three volunteers :) So I spent the first 24 hours of the race, from 5 am Friday to 5 am Saturday, helping to man the posts at three different Exchanges. It was a lot of fun, calling in the runner's team numbers as they approached the Exchange, so their relay partner could be ready for them to come in, cheering them on, seeing all the fun costumes and great runners. I had a wonderful time. I didn't know if I could stay awake, working hard for 24 hours, but I did it!!!!

When my last shift was over, I caught up with my team and spent the rest of the day hanging out with them. Some of the legs of the race went through city streets, but others were along the very edge of the Ocean, and it was an absolutely perfect day, weather-wise!

If you ever get a chance, don't miss out on an experience like this! I wouldn't have missed it for anything!

Happy jogging!



Deal of the Day


Smooth Elliptical Trainers

No comments:

Post a Comment