Monday, May 10, 2010

50 Days

Sometimes there is a fine line between persevering and being foolish. Sometimes there is no line at all; it just depends on how you want to look at it.

Beginning in February, I followed a fabulous new fitness program. An inspiring (and physically impressive) personal trainer had convinced my hubby and myself to sign up for this wonderful 12-month detox program which would "melt the pounds away", especially from those "stubbornly resistant spots" that we tend to develop as we get older. I got all fired up and dreamed of getting back into great shape.

I spent the first weekend reading through various exercise/fitness books, studying the meal charts, and planning out my program. I faithfully swore off my two favorite beverages, coffee and diet coke, made copies of daily exercise and nutrition log sheets, and was all set to go. I visualized myself about 30 pounds slimmer, dancing and leaping joyously, full of energy and grace. I was prepared to empty my closet of all those soon-to-be too-large clothes and reward myself with a few very nice things, which would show off my near-perfect body.

My enthusiasm lasted for exactly 50 days.

Now, I think that some things take longer than others, but 50 days should be enough to tell you something about whether you are on the right fitness path or not. I think that after 50 days, you just might want to take stock and see whether what you are doing is going to produce results or not. Or maybe it's just that my idea of perseverance is about 50 days long.

After 50 days of faithfully following my wonderful program, my results were: nil. I weighed exactly the same as when I started. I had reduced one jeans size--maybe. Maybe I was just pouring myself into smaller jeans, I can't be sure. But something wasn't right, I could tell you that.

Yours for a happier, healthier life,

The Jogging Grandma


Osprey Hydration Packs - Full Selection at Altrec


Smooth Treadmill

No comments:

Post a Comment