Sunday, April 4, 2010

Something New Every Week

Every week I try to do something new in my exercise routine. My fitness run, for example.

About 8 weeks ago, my 26-year-old daughter invited me to join a little running club she belongs to, that meets Saturday mornings at 7 a.m. I was very happy to do so, if for nothing else, to have a chance to hang out with my charming but busy daughter!

I had not done any running at all for a couple of years now, and was pretty much totally out of shape:) That first week, one of the experienced runners and my daughter took me "under their wing". They picked a fairly flat, 6 mile run. I jogged as long as I could, then walked the rest of the way. They were good sports, running ahead and then running back to me, then running ahead again. They got in a lot of good exercise, and I felt encouraged and accompanied as I puffed along.

The second week, I jogged a greater part of the same run, and the third week, it was about half walking and half jogging. The 4th week, I jogged more than I walked, and the 5th week I managed to jog the whole route. My pace was slow, but I managed to jog the whole time.

I was gone skiing for the following weekend, and when I got back, my daughter told me she had been doing a harder run during the midweek: about three miles out, a couple of miles of uphill, and then three plus miles back in. Hmmm... I always love a challenge, so we tried it together that weekend. I made it the three miles out, but I had to walk the uphill stretch, and the last three miles was walk/run/walk/run.

So this last weekend I summoned up all my determination, and kept jogging the entire 8.5 miles, uphill stretch and all. My pace was nothing to brag about, but I am very proud of myself for keeping going the whole way.

I think I'm on my way to getting back in shape!

With best wishes for a long and healthy life,

The Jogging Grandma
P.S. Check out this link for a great deal on another fun way to get fit:
http://dotsmarket.offershop.net/offer/apply/37823/1761/56879

No comments:

Post a Comment