Friday, March 26, 2010

What Have I Done?

We're going to fast forward a little here... I'll tell you how I got to the point I'm at, a little later.

For the time being, let me tell you that there is a 178-mile relay race coming up, April 23 and 24, from Ventura, California, all along the coast down to Dana Point. This is called the Ragnar Relay Race, and the same people organize similar races in other parts of the country, too. (Check them out at ragnarrelay.com.) The race begins Friday morning and runs approximately 24 hours :) Fun!

This is a really cool race. You get together 12 teammates, and divide up the 36 legs of the race, 3 per runner. It's great, because some legs are longer, others shorter; some are steeper, others are flatter... You work things out with your teammates, so you can include novices as well as more experienced runners, just by distributing the legs appropriately.

And no, I am not running in this one :) But I AM supporting my team by signing up as a volunteer. Each team that has at least one member living within a hundred miles of the race is responsible for finding three volunteers to help out with the organization. Or, in our case, one volunteer who is willing to work three shifts...

So when the time slot for signing up as a volunteer opened this morning, I was right there on my computer, ready to sign up. My main goal was to find three shifts I could work consecutively, all in the same place in the race. I frantically scanned through the available shifts (which were being filled by the minute) and found three that looked compatible. I sighed with relief as I finished signing up for all three.

Only then did it hit me what I had done. I am now signed up to work from midnight to six a.m., then six a.m. to noon, and then one-thirty p.m. until seven p.m. If you had told me fifteen minutes before that, that I would end up agreeing to such a crazy schedule, I wouldn't have believed it! But that is what I signed up for!

This is going to be some adventure!!!!

With best wishes for a long and healthy life,

The Jogging Grandma


Click here to see the top selling compact gym



No comments:

Post a Comment